Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cautious

I'm either indecisive or cautious. I've got three hard drives sitting by an open case, each with a different OS: 32-bit Win SP3, Linux Mint 13 64-bit Mate, & OpenSUSE 12.2 64-bit KDE. OpenSuse / KDE I like a great deal, because of its professional demeanor, well-designed and modern and minimalist, but I realize OpenSUSE doesn't mean Open Sesame!, that is to say, it won't auto-config the network for me, and the thought of copying all the files that need copying and configuring all the things that need configuring is, well, daunting. OpenSUSE has been put on hold while I tap into a new reserve of patience that comes with a new day.

Last night, in my Google-powered research, I found a blog that teaches how to set up Samba in a very clear and concise manner--very appealing, even tailored to my specific purpose, and if it works, then I will be linking to that site on this blog out of gratitude. I will certainly go back to Linux Mint if the network issue can be ironed out, because I have a feeling the other issues won't be quite as difficult.


Windows 32-bit is a last resort, because that old thing can't support > 2 tb drives. Fine for most desktops, but definitely limited as far as future potential goes, and the 32-bit thing just irritates me when 64-bit has been supported by cpu's for a decade or so.
Post a Comment
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions