Friday, November 2, 2012

Adios, Linux Mint; Hello, OpenSUSE

After two weeks, I'm still not able to reliably network my linux box. It's erratic. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, and sometimes strange error arise, and if I solve the error, then another one crops up, and another, and another besides, and some of these are old errors I've seen before, and some are new ones. Sometimes Linux Mint gets into moods and when it boots, something is broken, for an unknown reason. It regularly forgets the proper screen resolution, 800x600, and bumps me up to 1600x1200, rendering the display very difficult to read. I don't know who thought Linux Mint was user-friendly, because I've been doing nothing but pouring over online tutorials on editing /etc/smb.conf using a text editor (the 1980's style of business) and I've gotten exactly nowhere. I would only recommend LM to someone that does not have a network and never plans on getting one.

I have about the simplest network in creation, all connected by wire. Linux has me spinning my wheels all week long trying to get Linux shares to show up in Windows. Always there is "Access Denied," if the shares show up at all. So Linux wins an A+ for security, an F- for usability. I think that a rock would be a better operating system for networking purposes, because I can throw the rock and hit another computer with it, but I can't get anything to hit Linux. I've followed at least twenty tutorials online and read so many forum messages that my eyes are burning, and nothing works.

My next project is to try OpenSuse, on the hypothesis that it has smoother networking capability than Linux Mint. If that doesn't work out for me, then it's back to Windows. I'd rather be programming than running back and forth between computers to see whether a share can be accessed or not. Bo--ring! Now I know why I went into programming rather than network administration.Post a Comment
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions