Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Microsoft Allies with Baidu

Microsoft has allied with Baidu* to censor information from the Chinese people and help the authorities hunt down pro-democracy activists. Baidu is a Chinese search engine that, unlike its competitor Google, works hand-in-glove with the Chinese tyranny. On the web site I admin, I ban all activity from the Baidu search robot without exception. I view it in a similar light as pre-1946 Krupp.

While Microsoft invests heavily in China and other countries, having moved many of their middle-class jobs outside of the U.S., American consumers remain eager to purchase Microsoft products.

I am reminded of an Aesop's fable. I don't know whether children today read Aesop. I read my book cover to cover several times over when I was a boy. I thought it was strange and mysterious that these fables had survived for thousands of years, and I liked to imagine people of long ago retelling these stories. Many stories did not make sense to me until I read them several times. In some cases, I asked my parents for further explanation and elaboration. This story, however, speaks for itself.

A man asks an eagle for a feather for his cap. "Why sure," said the eagle, "I have many to spare and am flattered that you want one of my feathers." "Oh yes," said the man, "your feathers are the most useful of all." The man tipped his cap to the eagle and went on his way.

Several days later, the eagle was flying home to feed its young ones when an arrow pierced its wing. As it plummeted to the ground, it recognized its own feather in the arrow and saw below the same man he had helped before.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions