Saturday, June 4, 2011

I Love Google, Except for One Thing

Google loves history. As in, ancient history. That's fine for most subjects. But when searching for technological terms, a result from over two years ago is of little value. There are exceptions, yes. But for the most part, when searching for technological terms, which I do every day, I want my results to be confined to the last 30 days. It astounds me that Google does not make such an option available in the user's settings, but they don't, probably to keep their corporate clients happy, because web site owners are touchy about their rankings and raise hell whenever Google makes the slightest change that may impact their search rank. Old results that were great in 2003 continue to show up in 2011, when their worth has diminished to zero. In fact, old results can be dangerous, if used.

I was pleased to discover an easy way to add this functionality to my home page this morning! It seems only my partner and I will benefit, because no-one else in the world seems interested in using my home page. The rest of the world seems content to let Facebook, Yahoo or Google set their home page. But that's okay. I don't get paid for it anyway.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions