Saturday, June 11, 2011

Comodo Firewall

I tried the "Comodo" Firewall, but quickly uninstalled it, because it raised an alert every time that I changed and ran a batch file. I do so on a regular basis and cannot permit my firewall to pester me about it. Comodo is intended for users that write and execute no code of their own, which I suppose is the vast majority. But it's not for me. My choice will have to remain ZoneAlarm, an old favorite, although its pop-up windows can be annoying at times.

I also found Comodo's menu unnecessarily complicated and cluttered. It was obviously designed by a programmer, not a designer. ZoneAlarm, on the other hand, was designed by a designer. The most important options are right there for the user to select, and the trivial options are neatly hidden away, although accessible when needed.

Update: I tried downloading Free ZoneAlarm, but their web site reported an error message. I was not permitted to download it, because I already had Avast anti-virus installed. Apparently ZoneAlarm competes with Avast. This may explain why my ZoneAlarm and Avast-running OS crashed a week ago--they don't play well together. I like Avast best of all, so ZoneAlarm's out. Next!

I'm evaluating PC Tools's Firewall now. It gets good reviews, but best of all plays nice with Avast.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions