Monday, July 4, 2011

A Dream Given, Then Taken Away

No, I'm not being metaphorical, this time. Honestly, the dream metaphor is overused.

I had a real dream last night fueled by two cups of passionflower (dried, cut leaves of the beautiful flowering Passiflora incarnata) tea, but the dosage I fear was too strong. Although I remembered the dream as I emerged from sleep, I drifted in and out of sleep for an hour, and when I woke up, it was erased. Such is the danger of imbibing too much passionflower. I still feel groggy as I write this.

The trouble with concocting herbal teas without the use of prepared teabags is dosage. One never knows the precise potency of a stock. It is clear to me now that my particular stock is very potent indeed. The effect was startling as I lay in bed last night. I felt tendrils of the herb wrapping around my body and drawing me into the realm of sleep. I had half a mind to jump up, drink coffee and fight it off, just to demonstrate that I could, but decided that would be the act of an amateur, and besides, frittering the night away at the computer would annoy me even more than being shoved into sleep by an aggressive herbal entity.

If I dose again--which I don't plan to do for several days--half a cup should be sufficient for restorative sleep and a remembered dream.

Time for a cup of tea. The black stuff.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions