Sunday, January 20, 2013

KDE, Dolphin, K3b, Thunderbird, Kmail, Password Hell, Kate & Jedit

I like many things about KDE 4.9.4. I have not noticed any sluggishness on my 25-watt computer, despite the reputation of KDE for being slow. Other desktops have weird problems that just boggle the mind as to how they made it past the beta stage. For instance, Mate's screensaver activates while watching video. Linux Mint Maya Xfce does not have a keyboard shortcut to open a Terminal--I had to research to figure it out, and then I wrote a tutorial on the subject. But KDE is beautiful, mature and smooth.

Two things brought me to KDE: Dolphin and K3b. Trying those KDE apps out persuaded me that KDE developers know what they are doing. In my opinion, Dolphin and K3b are among the best apps available in the Linux world. They compare well against anything offered in Windows.

The color picker widget in KDE is also excellent and much better than the similar app in Gnome. The Gnome app I used to use frankly confused me, and I am not easy to confuse. I felt as though the developer had gone out of his way to confuse the user. KDE's color picker is intuitive and works almost as well as Color Cop in Windows, but Color Cop I find even more intuitive. I prefer Color Cop's defaulting to hexadecimal color codes rather than (rgb,rgb,rgb) and have not found a way to get KDE's color picker to default to hex.

What I like about KDE is the overall quality of the applications. I think of KDE as Windows as it would be, if it were designed for maximum efficiency rather than to generate value for Microsoft's shareholders.

Some of what reviewers dismiss as KDE's "bells and whistles," I would not be without. For instance, I really like KDE's bouncing ball that provides a visual cue that I have clicked on a launcher. In Xfce, I would often click on Firefox two or three times, thus launching that many instances of the browser, which wasted time. With KDE, I have never clicked on Firefox more than once, because KDE provides that helpful visual cue, which to me is not a "bell and whistle," but a damned useful thing. I am not quite as fond of many other visual effects, possibly because I do not understand their purpose, and at any rate my poor little ATI video processor is not very fast, thanks to ATI's poor support of Linux, so I have disabled many of them. But I do like the bouncing ball. I also like the many widgets that can easily be added to the panel. I doubt whether I have plumbed the depths of that ocean, but there are a lot of widgets available for installation, more than I have time to evaluate. At the moment, I am using the following widgets: cpu temperature, date reminder, magnifying glass, klipper the clipboard tool (which looks simply awesome), the wonderful color picker, and network activity. I am not so sure what the activity manager is for, but I have installed it, so if there is ever any activity going on, I'll know about it.

Among Mate, Xfce, and KDE, I feel that KDE was easier to customize in every way. I like the appearance of the date and time in particular and the pop-up calender, which includes notification about important holidays. In Xfce, I was unable after many attempts to get the month and day of the week to display in a legible format on a dark background along with military time, with the hours and minutes being larger than the date. In KDE, all this was easy. However, if KDE does have a weakness, it is the risk that a novice user might screw something up and forget how to go back to the way things were. I'm not sure whether there is any safeguard for that sort of thing, so I try to be careful in the changes I make. Where operating systems are concerned, I'm an incessant tweaker and perfectionist and like things to be the way that I want them to be, which is why KDE is a match made in Heaven for me.

A possible exception to KDE's quality may be Kmail. My problem with Kmail was that it always asked me for my email account's password, despite my checking the box that said, "Remember password." Kmail would only remember the password until the next time the computer booted, and then if I loaded Kmail and tried to send email, it would ask me once again for my password. I don't know whether the Kmail developers are a paranoid bunch, but I am not quite so paranoid, and after the twentieth occasion of entering my email password, I said, "Enough." That is when I installed Thunderbird. Thunderbird remembers my password. I only entered it once, and that was enough for Thunderbird, which also works very well in other ways. If anything, Thunderbird was easier to set up than Kmail, much easier as a matter of fact because Kmail got my settings wrong for one of my email accounts, and I had to spent about an hour on configuration, compared to two minutes with Thunderbird. Also, Kmail wanted to fiddle with something called Kwallet. I did permit the use of Kwallet, but perhaps I should not have, because I received no apparent benefit from it other than a potential defense from cybercriminals, if they want to go to the trouble to steal my computer and read my emails to see what kind of nonsense I write in my spare time.

What frustrates me the most about Linux in general is the constant nagging and annoyances and wasted time and frustration over passwords. I really think that the best new feature for any Linux distro would be to execute a new concept in system security using something like a USB key or fingerprint for security purposes rather than requiring the poor user to type a cryptic code, which inevitably is going to be written down on a piece of paper next to the computer--thus defeating much of the supposed benefit to the password hell.

KDE's Kate text editor does not support macros. How I miss Notepad++! As for Libre Office, their macro system is a mess. I recorded a macro, but it didn't work. And the fact one would have to navigate through a menu with about five or six clicks just to run a macro makes their macro system of little value to me. I have very simple needs. I press a key, I want multiple keypresses to be produced. I don't want to handle the mouse each time I select a macro. Just keypress, macro. Easy. I don't need a complicated system of storing macros, as LibreOffice tries to foist upon the user. I don't understand all of that. LibreOffice asked me each time I saved my macro whether I wanted to overwrite Main. I don't know what Main is, and I don't care. But the macro did not work, anyway, so LibreOffice is not likely to be used again by me. I'm starting to think that I'm going to need a Windows machine around to get work done.

Update: after a morning searching online, I found a text editor in Linux that supports macros reasonably well--Jedit--and after some poking around, I figured out how to use the keyboard to activate my macro. The only problem with Jedit is that it can't open .doc files correctly, complaining about encoding errors, so I have to open a .doc file first in LIbreOffice, then copy and paste into Jedit, but that's a relatively minor issue. For macro support, I would have put up with a half-hour opening delay. Macros are that important.Post a Comment
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

1 comment:

Greg Zeng said...

Thanks on Jedit. Don't use macro - yet.

XFCE 13.04 has Thunar with multi-tab windows, ultra-powerful search-replace, renaming, etc - but does not recurse like Windows shareware "Servant Salamander"

SS has been registered here for about 20 years - best ever file browser on the planet, irrespective of op sys IMO. Will show its power one day - the supplier does not know what he has created, & is bad at marketing, etc. Freeware version also available.

None of my XFCE distros do not have any of the limits you describe. Date, time, fonts, colors are very flexible.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions