Thursday, September 8, 2011

NameCheap's Clueless Tech Support

I was finally able to get my ftp password on Namecheap reset, after 10-12 live chats with their clueless and incompetent tech support staff. Total amount of time spent, 5 hours, both theirs and mine, so I am at least pleased that they suffered along with me. I don't see why they could not have helped me on the very first chat. Changing a password is not rocket science. If they would simply automate the process, then I wouldn't have had to chat with the buffoons in the first place.

I regret few things more than signing up for their non-refundable web hosting "service". Namecheap is one of the most incompetent outfits I have ever encountered in tech. I think they are proud of it in a perverse sort of way, because I noticed in their online forums, one of their staff chose as his profile picture a stock photo of Borat.

I'll be pleased to read any news about Namecheap going bankrupt or a class action lawsuit being filed against them. I will be pleased when my subscription runs out, because then I will run out too & never return to "Namecheat."
by igor 04:20 8 replies by igor 09:32 6 comments

3 comments:

CriticNYC said...

Is this the only problem you experienced with them? I have signed up with them for a domain name. I did get in touch on the chat line and Yurii from the Ukraine seemed OK. But I didnt challenge him with anything demanding.
Anthony L Feb 11 2013.
PS Yours is the only google find for "namecheap" "bankrupt" :-) They seem to get good reviews on "Registrar Judge", whatever that is worth. Did you abandon ship?

igor said...

Yes, I abandoned ship. Namecheap's tech support is unmotivated, uncommunicative and incapable of performing any but the most simple tasks. If they do not understand what you are saying, they will ignore. I have been kept in chat literally for hours without a response. Namecheap does not respond to emails, either. I cannot imagine anyone using Namecheap for a serious or commercial enterprise. It would be suicidal. They are a bunch of clowns over there at Namecheap, clowns that are laughing at you the whole time. It would be better by far to pay three times the price and get decent service and support. Namecheap does not serve well; I was getting all kinds of bizarre unexplained technical errors, which is why I had to contact their support, which did not support.

Andrea said...

I am leaving Namecheap for HostGator. Their tech support people are beyond incompetent. My site has gone down dozens of time since I signed up last year and each and every time they told me that the server my site was on was not down and I must be imagining things and Jetpack monitor was wrong. The last straw was Saturday night, the site went down 3 times. The last time lasted hours. I contacted them, they asked for usernames repeatedly, then told me the following day that they saw no evidence that my site was down, when all they would have to do is visit my url to see for themselves!

Today, they could not even help me detach from Cloudflare so I could transfer that to the new host, because it was set up through Namecheap. They are so dumb! Glad to be rid of them.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions