Friday, December 18, 2009

Variation #1 on the Perfect Breakfast

Sometimes, friends want to take me out to a greasy spoon like Waffle Tyrant, but that is not a good way to start the day. I prefer to start the day right.

My breakfast never varies in three essential ingredients: oatmeal, a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, and water. To this, I add the following, all from Trader Joe's:

  • Thompson's Seedless California Raisins
  • Dry Roasted & Unsalted Almonds
  • Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips

Almonds may be replaced by hazelnuts, walnut bits, peanuts, sunflower seeds, or pistachios, depending upon what's on sale. It does not matter whether nuts are raw or dry roasted, but I try to avoid oil-roasted nuts. Oil diminishes flavor while increasing saturated fats. I'm not opposed to salt, but people suffering from hypertension should be. Raisins are interchangeable with prunes, which are tastier, or dried apricots. Sometimes I omit the chocolate chips. They should be a treat, not a habit.

Like most breakfasts, this lacks vitamins, so I pop a cheap little vitamin-candy and a fish oil capsule and wash it all down with tea.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions