Thursday, December 17, 2009

Alcohol, the King of the Party

At the last dinner party, my friends brought me beer, wine, and liqueur. Alcohol is the ubiquitous social drug in our society. It is difficult to avoid, because so many people use it, even the good and the wise. The accessories, such as the bottles and glasses, are appealing and sensual. In recent years, scientists have contributed to the promotion of alcohol, making claims of benefits, such as antioxidants and resveratrol in wine, although numerous other substances besides wine contain antioxidants, and grape skins, peanut skins, and blueberries contain resveratrol.

When I was a young man, alcohol bestowed a pleasant glow, similar to being in love. Around my early thirties, that pleasure diminished. Today, the waste products of fungi don't make me a fun guy. My brain's pleasure center has changed the lock, and alcohol's key no longer fits. Alcohol brings lethargy, irritability, arthritic pain, and stomach discomfort. I have ten bottles of what used to be my favorite beer sitting in my refrigerator, waiting for the next drinking guest. I don't imagine they will be waiting for long. I will be glad to see them go.

In my late thirties, I revisited my old friend, marijuana, which is free of alcohol's physical consequences. Marijuana is not as sociable these days, because people fear the consequences of a urinalysis test that might cost them their career. In the current legal environment, parents can even lose custody of their children over such a small matter. The legal environment has crowned alcohol the king of the party, but he is a corrupt monarch who abuses his subjects. If pot were king, and alcohol the outcast, then the nation would profit from the savings in medical costs alone.

My policy concerning substances has evolved into something like this: workaday sobriety, a single glass of wine at parties, and pot while on vacation. My favorite place to get high is San Francisco, because it is unnecessary to drive, the setting is beautiful, and the laws are lenient. I walk everywhere, and when my companions feel exhausted, we take the trolley. I never feel tired in San Francisco. The city hums with an energetic vibe. I like to spend my money there, because my proverb is, "Spend your money where your heart is, and you can't go far wrong." San Francisco has a good history, which is still unfolding. Other cities would do well to follow in its footsteps. My favorite places to walk are Chinatown, the Wharf, Telegraph Hill, and the Farmer's Market, where I pick up cherries, olives, bananas, fresh bread, and coffee. Sometimes I walk across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. A ferry carries weary travelers back to SF.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions