Saturday, December 5, 2009

Misprints

While grading a self-test today, I discovered the following errors in the answers.

1. Express 60/12 as a percentage.

(A) 0.5%
(B) 5%
(C) 50%
(D) 500%

The answer key said (C).

2. How many centimeters are in 56 meters?

(A) 56
(B) 560
(C) 5,600
(D) 56,000

The answer key said (D).

I am not sure what sort of boneheads are working as proofreaders at the publishing company these days, but factual information is difficult to come by even in mainstream newspapers, TV shows and magazines. A recent news article in "The Week" claimed that 60% of Americans feel like Sarah Palin is misrepresented by the media. That sounded odd, and I wondered whether it might be so until I saw the byline: Fox News.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions