Thursday, March 8, 2012

What If I Were Hacked?

My recent post about Sabu and Lulzsec made me consider possible retaliation, because those so-called "freedom fighters" do not really believe in freedom of speech after all. They believe in crime and retaliation and that is all.

In the back of my mind, I consider the possibility that my blog, email address or other cyber-identity might some day be hacked or otherwise compromised by cyber-vandals (otherwise known in the media as "hackers," but they ain't nothing more than common vandals, little different from the clowns who deface road signs) or even paranoid law enforcement or some other element that I haven't yet considered.

Sometimes I edit a post and Blogger reports that there are conflicting edits, which makes me wonder whether somebody out there is trying to hack this little insignificant blog. Then I think, "Nah, couldn't be. My blog doesn't matter enough to be hacked." But you never know.

The simple fact of the matter is that I do make back-ups of my stuff on a semi-regular basis, so the complete destruction of my cyber-posts would inconvenience me for about five minutes at the most. Besides, I ain't Shakespeare and don't feel like I'm composing anything irreplaceable on here. I know better than to post my best stuff online, because people will steal it and claim it as their own. Also, I'm not proud and don't really care if someone posts "f*** u igor" or some other derogatory message. Similar things have happened before in the past and I'm sure will happen again at some point in time, the Internet being what it is.

Sometimes I have been contacted by people on fishy pretenses who seem a little bit too eager to learn more about me, while being mysterious about their own identity. As far as law enforcement is concerned, I don't feel I have anything to hide, and if they want to waste their time examining my activities then I would find that amusing, although the taxpayers might not be quite so amused by the waste of government resources.

My blog serves as a place where I can post my many grievances, complaints, insights, observations and predictions. If people find something useful or amusing here, then that is fine by me, but if not, that is okay, because I'm not in a popularity contest here. If I wanted this blog to be popular, I'd post exclusively on narrow technical topics, as so many bloggers do, instead of controversial topics such as politics and philosophy, because not many people really care what igor has to say about those things. But I don't care that they don't care. I post for myself. This is my public diary, not so much concerning the mundane events of my life but rather the intellectual threads that interest me. Take it or, more likely, leave it.
by igor 04:20 8 replies by igor 09:32 6 comments

3 comments:

Deacon Solomon said...

I was on blogspot for five or six years. I wrote politics then -- real controversial stuff. I NEVER got hacked. I think Google does a real fine job of keeping those assholes away from blogspot content.

Deacon "Deke" Solomon

igor said...

I agree. Blogspot is as secure as one's password. Never been hacked. As for Wordpress, a bit of sweat equity is required to make it securer. One really must keep up with things. But in the end Wordpress will look nicer and do more than Blogspot. In the olden days, one could not host files on Blogspot, but nowadays, I can set up a google site and link to that for my files. Blogspot is so much easier to use, and administration is a breeze. It is possible to customize the blog as well. In the end, I prefer Wordpress now, but Blogspot is also good and I like the low-maintenance part for a casual blog like this one.

Deke Solomon said...

I used to post all the time on a political journalism site called Empire Burlesque. Chris (that's his name) works with a geek who uses something called joomlah (did I spell it right?) He used to get hacked ALL the time. The site went down a couple of times for a week or more. Then the geek did something major (don't really know what). Now they only get hacked SOME times.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions