Sunday, January 29, 2012

Death is a Good Thing (in Dungeon Crawl)

I"m glad death is so cheap in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, because it forces a break in play. Otherwise, one could keep going at it all day long.

However, the constant dying reinforces the feeling I have that the game is pointless; every single character dies no matter what strategy is pursued. In fact, I would say one in a thousand could possibly succeed, if every turn was played in the perfect manner with knowledge of what would happen next. Without foreknowledge, one in a trillion characters might succeed. I doubt I will live long enough to see such a character. So, I am looking around for a game to replace Crawl.
by igor 04:20 8 replies by igor 09:32 6 comments

4 comments:

Soyweiser said...

Your stories will be missed.

igor said...

It is to be expected after twenty consecutive deaths a fellow might want to blow off steam.

I never did find a replacement game, and my Octopode Stalker has had tremendous success plundering Dis, so I think I will continue Crawling.

I really hesitate to blog about my success with a Stalker, because the next thing you know, the game will be modified to reduce the strength of the game-dominating Evaporate spell. And Stalker is not even a recommended profession for Octopodes!

Anonymous said...

i saw your post about the regen.bat file for the first time wish i had it seen it earlier lol.. does it work with the latest verison of tiles dcss?

igor said...

Of course.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions