Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Worm Food

On the November 3rd, 2011 episode of the Daily Show, I watched a Republican get up in Congress and say we had to have "In God We Trust" as our national motto, or else we're just worm food, and government is pointless, and anarchy might as well prevail.

I don't care about the contents of his cranium or even the stupid bill that they passed by a landslide.

The only thing interesting about the little kobold is his remark that we could just be worm food.

I think about Death. I can't imagine he thinks anymore than he has to in order to work his scams. The only thing I imagine a Republican caring about is power, money, and sex, in that order; I don't expect anything else out of them. If anyone is just worm food, they are, for sure, no doubt about it, take it to the bank and cash it. If they have a soul, up is down, left is right, and white is black. I'd sooner believe my cat has a soul.

However... there is a mystery about life, death, and the universe. The question, "why are we here?" occurs to anyone who thinks about things.

As far as I can tell, there's no one keeping score, but that doesn't mean the Golden Rule is no longer applicable. Karma's not negated.

I wonder sometimes at night if I will die in my sleep or if I'll wake up with some kind of cancer. I suppose anything could happen at any time. Game over. I imagine myself being remembered by a handful of people until the end of their lives, and then forgotten forever as though I never existed, just like everyone else except for luminaries like Shakespeare, although they, too, will probably be forgotten in due course. But no one is keeping score. Life is not win-or-lose. It is an opportunity to create beauty and happiness and pleasure. That seems to be the most logical course of action. Of course there are many who prefer to do otherwise. They want to create strife. There has always been evil in the world.

When my atoms have finished with me, they will be reused for other beings, until eventually Earth is done with and finished as a living planet.

I don't know the answers to the ultimate questions, such as what created the universe and why and how and when. But I don't need to know. I am just a small being of limited resources. I have just enough ability to wonder, but not to discover the answers on my own, unassisted. I can't say it's satisfying to me, because I like learning and I like knowing things, but I have no option other than to accept life, death, and the world as experienced. I think life and the universe are good in general, and I would rather be alive than dead. Death seems frightening, and I dread it, and I think it's horrible that I have to face it along with everyone else, but on the other hand, birth too must be horrible. It is such a drastic and rapid change to go from nonexistence to a human baby. Yet all of us have done it, and we have no bad memories about the experience, because at the time we were not thinking at all about becoming alive or about being born into the world. The answer I suppose is not to think too much about the finality of life, but simply to accept death when the time comes like one accepts hunger, thirst, satiation and pleasure. Just do it.
by igor 04:20 8 replies by igor 09:32 6 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions