Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Just Not Good Enough, Eh?

As I was doing my taxes, I came across old documentation from school that reminded me of my aborted mission to become a registered nurse. I am reminded of the substantial costs in money, time, energy and effort that amounted to nothing. It was a gamble, nothing more--a losing wager.

According to the local nursing school, I'm not good enough to be allowed into their program. After all, I only scored a 100 out of 100 on the entrance exam--not a 110, as an extraterrestrial by the name of Zwee!-Blapt!-Flitzuh! scored, adding quantum points from an alternative reality.

Also, my five "critical grades" in prerequisite courses were A, A, A, C, and B, which were far from perfect. The A's were all science courses. The "C" was in English Composition (101), a course I took in the 1980's. (Ignored was my Bachelor in Arts with a major in English and a 3.9 GPA.)

I scored 18 out of a possible 25 points on the interview itself, which lasted about five minutes. Mainly the interviewers wished to know whether I had prior nursing experience, which is interesting, because if I had, it is likely I would not have been enrolling in nursing school. But apparently many nursing students are already in the medical profession and seeking to move up the career ladder.

In retrospect, I think taking prerequisites for nursing school was a waste of time, although I did enjoy several of my classes, because I like learning. Though I have lost, I think that society too has lost, because it was the State that financed much of my education and whose employees determined, at the end, for whatever secret motives, that I wasn't good enough to be admitted into nursing school. Since my education was a mutual investment, we are losers together. That gives me a small measure of satisfaction, much better than if I had paid for all the tuition myself.

I understand that there is a shortage of nurses these days. Too bad.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions