Friday, March 25, 2011

Black Spells

From time to time, I have black spells, moments when I feel like Death the Tempter is clutching my shoulder with cold bony fingertips, whispering of how nice it is not to be, and singing about the silence, dignity, gravitas, solemnity, finality, completion, perfection and invulnerability of the grave, which no one may assail--for the dead cannot suffer--and indeed, death is all that, and more, although I suspect one doesn't know it, not being or thinking anymore. Death only seems fair before, but after, there is no seeming at all, no reflection, and no second chance. Obliteration of the individual consciousness occurs. I am neutral on the question of whether our mortality is good or bad. I think I will persist and see what will come, out of curiosity. I think it is wise to hope, especially in such wondrous times, when there is so much peace and prosperity, more than our ancestors ever dreamed, and more understanding, compassion and goodness in people than what can be read in the history books. Ancient times were harder by far. It is a mistake to give in to black spells or to do anything other than endure them and let them pass like tides of the ocean, wiping away castles of sand that can be rebuilt again.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions