Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Windows 7 versus Windows XP

Still using Windows XP? You retrograde, you. Here are the reasons you must upgrade to Windows 7.

  • Microsoft needs your money. They have to pay for all those buildings and employees over in India, where they shipped a ton of middle-class jobs, leaving American programmers unemployed. By helping Microsoft, you help India a little bit. Don't you want to support our friends, the Indians?
  • Windows 7 requires a whole new suite of hardware. It won't settle for your old XP rig. Don't worry about it. You clearly don't need $1000, since you're considering upgrading. You'd probably waste $1000 anyway on something else. So upgrade already. Brag about how Windows 7 boots twenty seconds faster and looks spiffy on your HD monitor and how you can play all the latest whiz-bang video games. This impresses the ladies a great deal. Sure. Take it from me.
  • You need the exercise. Americans are overweight according to everybody. Hauling all that old computer equipment to the dump should burn off a couple hundred calories.
  • Landfills need your business. If you don't throw good, working equipment away before its time, then they lose money. Don't you care about the landfill operators? They have families to feed, too.
  • What else would you do with your time, anyway? Nothing interesting. Might as well upgrade, then, just for the sake of upgrading. You get bragging rights then.

I confess, I am one of the throwbacks that remained with ancient old Windows XP. Pity me. Think of all the things I have to do without.

Well, I can't think of anything at the moment.

I use the very latest version of Firefox to browse the Internet. I use the 2007 version of Microsoft Word to compose documents. I use Notepad++ to edit html files. For gaming, there's dungeon crawl, of course. I do without absolutely nothing. And as for the $1000 I would otherwise spend on a Win 7 system? That's in the bank, saved for a rainy day.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions