Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Kenku

In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, I have seldom played a Kenku. I am unfamiliar with any stories concerning the Kenku race and have only encountered it in Dungeon Crawl, although I have a vague recollection of an obscure bird-race in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. (At one time, I knew by heart most of the monsters and their hit dice, armour class, and so on.) It was high time I gave one of the old birds a try.

Here is Burny the Fire Elementalist at my favorite location, the stairway leading to level eight of the Vaults, where he usually dies.


Upon reaching a certain level, the Kenku may take to the air--permanently, at no apparent cost in food. This means there is no danger posed by lava or water, no need to carry potions of levitation, and no need to memorize any flying spells. The downside is that the Kenku are a bit frail in terms of hit points, though more robust than Spriggans. I found that the Kenku's beak packed (pecked?) an impressive wallop during melee combat. It is advisable to practice Unarmed Combat until such time that a useful staff is found. I chose a staff of poison because it grants immunity to poison, poisons those struck by it, and the Kenku happen to be the most proficient race at Staves. Eventually, I seek a Staff of Air (resistance to electricity) or even better, a Staff of Conjurations or Fire (extra power when casting related spells).

My Kenku was handicapped by his failure to locate the Ecumenical Temple. He would have worshipped Sif Muna if he had found his altar. But a part of me wanted to see whether an atheist character could win the Orb. Also, if cast into the Abyss, my character could appeal to Logunu for a quick exit.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions