Friday, August 20, 2010

The Boy That Drank Tea

I drank milk substitutes, such as soybean milk, as a child. I don't remember the reason why. It may have been thought that milk gave me a sore throat or caused a rash under my chin. My father was indeed lactose-intolerant and still is. Lactose intolerance is common among non-European peoples, and in particular sub-Saharan Africa and the Far East. Milk was a daily and required complement to our school cafeteria lunches. Due to my note from my doctor, I was allowed to drink tea instead of milk, which engendered envy and hate from a few of my peers. I remember that there was one boy who believed the whole milk-allergy was a scam. One day at the end of the school year, he pointed his finger at me and screamed, "Ya lie about the milk! Ya lie! And ya lie all the time! Motherf--er!" I thought he had lost his mind. He was voted most popular boy in school, so apparently he did not scream at everybody, just the boy that drank tea.

I had not been aware of conducting any scam. If anyone had concocted a scam, it was my pediatrician. He probably did the best he could under the circumstances. It was the 1970s. How much did doctors really know back then? They were telling people not to eat eggs because of the cholesterol. They were telling people margarine was healthier than butter. I remember eating margarine on toast all the time. Now we know that butter is better, and eggs are OK, because they have equal amounts of the "good" cholesterol and the "bad" cholesterol, and plenty of nutritious protein as well.

After that incident, I stopped drinking tea, and found that I liked milk and even preferred chocolate milk to tea. Today, I drink milk without any concern. I can drink as much milk as I please. A Chinese friend of my acquaintance is also able to drink milk, despite statistics showing that 95% of the inhabitants of China are lactose-intolerant. I think that exposing oneself to milk products is the best way to cure lactose intolerance, at least for those with a mild aversion such as I had. The wikipedia article on lactose intolerance notes that Japan has a high incidence of genetically-determined lactose intolerance, yet milk is becoming more popular and lactose intolerance is declining. This observation suggests behavior can modify the body's innate problems with lactose. It may be that certain bacteria in the intestines can take care of lactose after they have had a chance to colonize the intestine.

In a similar way, the best way to avoid allergies is to expose oneself to the maximum number of allergens on a regular basis and also to germs. I believe that most people are far too concerned about germs. Germs are good practice for the immune system. I eat food that has fallen to the floor, and I do not bother with bandaging or disinfecting minor cuts. If the immune system does not get any practice, then it will go a-gunning for the body and start destroying bodily tissue. Besides, I want my immune system to have a long and comprehensive memory about all the pathogens in my environment. When the day comes that I really do suffer a serious infection, I hope my immune system remembers the bug and swats it with just the right flyswatter.

It is an unwise experiment to attempt to live a sterile existence. We are not individuals, but teams, and the human component is outnumbered by the microbial component by about a billion to one. Bacteria produce vitamin K and several B vitamins in our large intestine. Mitochondria in our cells have their own DNA, separate and distinct from our own, and are thought to derive from an ancient microbe. I quote from the wikipedia article: "they are believed to be originally derived from endosymbiotic prokaryotes." Mitochondria are essential for life. A fascinating wikipedia article on the origin of the relationship between mitochondria and ourselves is found here. Some bacteria act as our allies and fight the truly harmful bacteria. I do not know of any instances where viruses benefit humankind, but perhaps one day viruses will be used to replace defective gene sequences.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions