Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jonesin' for Linux Mint 15

I am seriously jonesin' for the next version of Linux Mint KDE. It's going to be tough for me, I tell you, because I'm going to watch Ubuntu 13.04 be released...yawn...then Linux Mint 15 Mate and Cinnamon...okay, that's nice, but not quite the thing for me...and only about a month later, maybe in the Fall, will Linux Mint 15 KDE roll out. That's the ticket right there. That will be the time to upgrade everything. I hope the long wait is worth it. I'm looking forward to the latest version of KDE.

I had to pass on Open Suse 12.3, because it's just too problematic. I don't think the end user should need a Ph.D. to set up a printer. To me, printing is an elementary function of the operating system. Printing should never, ever be any kind of issue. I also believe that a Linux distribution should access the network from the word "Go." The user should not be required to do anything to set the network up, especially in the case of simple wired networks where there is no wi-fi password to deal with. As far as repositories go, the dvd must cease to be a repository once the OS is installed. These are the three primary reasons that I am opting for an older version of Linux Mint KDE over OpenSuse 12.3 KDE. There are other rough edges with OpenSuse, little things that require the user to learn how to cope with OpenSuse, when the user should instead be focused upon getting things done. An operating system should be unobtrusive and elementary to understand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I agree with you on Opensuse 12.3. Little things don't work, but damn it looks really sweet. but just to many headaches. I installed the "Glow" Opensuse wallpaper on my Linuxmint 14 kde and looks damn good. Just discovered you website. Like your writing style and you talk about everything. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Not glow but "Grow" wallpaper by White Dawn. Give it a try. I also changed my panel color to black to match Opensuse.

igor said...

Linux Mint has better print support due to the Debian base. OpenSuse is not Debian-based and would therefore have to reinvent the wheel to imitate Debian's superb print management, and reinventing the wheel isn't inspiring work.

I may look into that wallpaper, but for now I use solid black as a background and it serves well. I'm using the Oxygen desktop theme and the Plastik window decoration. My panel is dark grey. I seem to remember that not all icons / widgets look good on a black background panel.

I do talk about everything--probably a little too much for my own good, ha ha ha.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions