Thursday, March 21, 2013

Intuit's TurboTax Spyware

Intuit TurboTax won't let me file taxes online. Chris Pederick's user-agent switcher won't work to bypass the "system requirements" check, either. There's only one reason I know for a web site to require the use of a specific operating system, and that is that they want to load spyware onto the user's PC. So that makes me wonder what kind of spyware Intuit Turbotax is deploying and for what reason?

I hate to switch to a different product, but I'm leaving Intuit alone this year. They seem to be resorting to desperate measures in this economy. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, as I used to get unsolicited phone calls from Intuit on a regular basis--they'd call every week, punctual, usually around dinner-time, trying to sell me Quicken or some other product I don't care about. Thank goodness I run Call Clerk now to intercept annoying calls from clueless companies such as Intuit that have no idea how to treat a customer.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions