Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Stellar Week

What a stellar week this has been:

-The BP oil leak has been contained (for now)!
-California has a referendum on the ballot that may legalize marijuana!
-Democrats inserted a provision into the Immigration Bill that may equalize immigration rights for married gay couples!

I'm euphoric.

The last measure, in particular, would have a profound effect upon my own life and that of my partner of thirteen years. Of all legislation that has ever been, that one provision would mean the most to me. I called my representatives and urged them to pass it. I don't know what else I can do. I hope the Republicans show a little bit of humanity on this issue instead of their usual knee-jerk opposition to anything at all involving gays. According to Immigration Equality, there are 36,000 Americans like me that would be effected.

My partner's cousin, who is heterosexual, has already received citizenship via marriage. It is only fair that my partner be permitted the same privilege.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions