Friday, June 26, 2009

I Will Gladly Pay $120 For Windows 7

Some people complain that the list price of Windows 7 is too high at $120.

Microsoft, fear not!

I will gladly pay $120. For that price, I assume what I'm getting is a flawless operating system with no problems lurking in the shadows for the end user.

If I do encounter a Windows problem, then Microsoft will pay me $50 an hour for solving it. Right? Plus a refund of the original $120 cost?

Did I make an incorrect assumption anywhere?

If Microsoft is not making a flawless operating system--if the end users are expected to debug the OS, as we did with Windows 2000 and XP--then $120 is a joke. Microsoft should be paying us to install the kludge. For my part, I've spent at least two hundred hours (conservative estimate) troubleshooting Window-ish problems over the last ten years. If I were compensated at the level of Microsoft's phone-techs, that would amount to $10,000.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions