Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Did Somebody Say They Wanted a Cool Home Page?

This is my home page.



Or click here to see an enlarged version.

This blog entry tells how to make one just like it.

Compare my solution to the solutions offered by ISP's, Yahoo, Google or any other service that has a financial stake in influencing the direction that internet traffic flows.

Which is better?

What do you think about the background? Like it? Hate it? Dark backgrounds are my style, because I prefer high contrast against the brighter font color. Also, I feel that a dark screen is easier on the eyes. While I don't have scientific research to back up that claim, I do know my eyes feel better after three hours of staring at a black screen rather than a white one. The one exception to this policy is on my blog, where I concede to "the experts," who recommend black text against a white background. (I've actually strayed a bit on the background.) Who are "the experts?" Just about every news site in existence.

At any rate, if you think I am full of malarkey when it comes to design issues, then you can select your own wallpaper for your home page background. Take a look at my blog entry on finding quality Windows wallpaper.

Most of our time on the computer is spent using the browser, these days, and so I think a good home page is essential. In fact, it may be the most important item on a computer, save the browser itself. My home page saves me both time and bandwidth. It's also nice to have the browser load a page in less than a second rather than having to access the Internet from the get-go to load a page you may or may not want, such as the Google search engine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I prefer light or white backgrounds but that's just me.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions