Sunday, August 20, 2017

Republican vs. Democrat


For me, the clearest and earliest distinction between Republican and Democrat came in the 1970's. Jimmy Carter's administration studied moving the U.S. over to the Metric system. Reagan's administration nixed that plan and committed the U.S. to be the sole adherent to the antiquated old English system. That is why we boil water in 2017 to 212F, instead of 100C. It is why we have to use all these formulae to figure out how much a fraction of an inch is, and how much a fraction of a gallon is. Fractions upon fractions, none simple, none decimal-based! The U.S. is the only holdout today using Farenheit and other old-timey measurements. The rest of the world uses Metric. Our country is embarrassed before the entire world. Thanks a lot, Reagan.

The Republicans are unscientific and hostile toward education. They dwell in the past, and don't accept change of any kind, unless it involves going to war, in which case, they're for it.

The Democrats embrace science, support education, surround themselves with learned men and women, and embrace positive change. That is why I vote Democrat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My god Igor. You are an angry man. But I still love you. Now I just read your blog and breath deeply. What happened to the good days of you being angry with Linux? Is this life all for nothing? Shall I die with you ranting about politics? Surely no. Or maybe yes.

igor said...

I'm angry that the country I love is a retrograde when it comes to units of measurement. We are behind in science, and the reason is Republicans. Does it perturb me enough to lose sleep? Never. It's just one of those of those, "I wish the world were better" think-a-dees, the kind Republicans, apparently, never have. We would still be gathered around a fire, fearing the gods, and seeing goblins and trolls in the darkness, if everyone were conservative. And, maybe that'd be a good thing--no science=no nukes and no global warming. But you'd not be writing diddly on your computer, wouldn't have electricity, wouldn't communicate with me nor many others.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions