Sunday, March 10, 2013

Overcoming Windows

Over the years, I've resorted to unorthodox methods to overcome the limitations of the Windows operating system. Observe the photo below, taken two days ago.


What on earth is that contraption hovering precariously over my keyboard?

The contraption is a day calendar that has a plastic back molded with a little round hole that I discovered would hold the tip of a plastic pen, which I am using as a leg. The pen supports part of the weight of the day calendar and transfers the force of gravity to the "N" key on my keyboard.

The reason I rigged this contraption was that I was copying a vast number of files from one drive to another, an operation that required several hours, and I did not want Windows to stop the entire process with an input prompt asking me to confirm whether I wanted to overwrite an already existing file. This contraption ensures that "N" will be pressed everytime Windows asks me that idiotic question. It would not have been necessary if the programmers had thought to include a flag in the Xcopy command for the same purpose, but at Microsoft, the programmers are busy working on ways to maximize shareholder value; they are less concerned about making life easier for the end user.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions