Saturday, July 31, 2010

Melatonin

Melatonin seems like a mysterious compound, increasing REM sleep and vivid dreaming in addition to assisting with the circadian rhythm. It also functions as an antioxidant. It is produced by an endocrine gland located in the brain, known as the pineal body. In humans, melatonin exerts an inhibitory influence upon the reproductive system that prevents sexual maturation from occurring too early.

The production of melatonin requires hours of darkness. This was seldom an issue for our ancient ancestors, but today, many remain awake during the hours of darkness, such as the evening-time, to watch their favorite television shows and use the computer. By doing so, modern humans deprive themselves of a beneficial compound that seems to have a subtle influence upon psychology and health.

I have decided to embark upon an experiment with myself as the subject. I will make a conscious effort to generate increased levels of melatonin in my system by going to sleep during the hours of darkness and arising in the early morning. My expectation is that I will have a more pronounced circadian rhythm, more REM sleep, and vivid dreaming. The last benefit is of great interest to me, because I want to experience vivid dreaming and see what all the fuss is about. I may discover that melatonin is of great benefit.

Benjamin Franklin wrote, "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." I wonder whether that is so and whether melatonin is the reason.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions