Friday, June 26, 2009

Ancient Roman Epitaphs

I made a strange and delightful discovery today: ancient Roman epitaphs. These two were retrieved from the Isola Sacra cemetery:

"Here in my tomb I drain my cup more greedily, because here I must sleep and here must stay for ever."

---

"May the passer-by who has seen these flowers and read this epitaph say to himself: 'This flower is Flavia's body.'"



-- "Life in Ancient Rome: People and Places," p.248, by Nigel Rodgers, published by Hermes House.

I was inspired to look online for more Ancient Roman epitaphs from the cemetery at Isola Sacra, but all I can find online are hotels, resorts, and a few scholarly forums where archeologists chat with one another. What I was looking for was a comprehensive list of Isola Sacra epitaphs, such as was published by H. Thylander in 1952. I suppose this is one of those gotcha's on the Internet, where the subject matter is just too obscure to find any good material. Many scholars are discussing ancient epitaphs, but they never quote the epitaphs verbatim. Instead they write volumes analyzing and speculating on things, which I suppose is the nature of academia. I just wanted to read a long list of Ancient Roman epitaphs. The main attraction is that they are outside of our contemporary culture and either pre-Christian or primitive Christian--either way, of more interest than your usual cemetery, and even ordinary cemeteries are very interesting places to visit. Even when tombstones lack poetry or stories, the dates tell something, bringing to mind historical events that were contemporary to the dates.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions