Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Current Thoughts about Linux

Ubuntu should be rocky the next few years as Canonical rolls out Mir. I think that's why Linux Mint is avoiding Canonical's non-LTS releases. I don't know what I'm going to do with my Xubuntu 14.04 rigs. Probably in a year or so, I will feel the need to switch distros.

Xubuntu 14.04 is great, but Xubuntu's destiny is dependent upon Ubuntu and the choices that Canonical makes.

I've found SolydX to be fast, lean, and reliable. I may switch over to SolydX in the future.

Xfce has always given me far fewer problems than KDE and that is the main reason I use it. It seems to me that KDE is evolving at a fast and furious pace all the time, and that the desktop never settles down into a stable state. It's radioactive. There is something to be said for conservatism, for stability and predictability. Basically, XFCE does everything I want it to do. It could be a little bit nicer here and there, but I turn on the computer to run applications, not to stare at a desktop. The desktop is a mere conveyance, a road leading to Thunderbird, Firefox, Skype and other tools. The desktop should be reliable first of all and be easy to update.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you like xfce it is probably because you have already given its closest alternative LXDE a fair shot. That said, you might like to take a look at a relative new comer: LXLE. http://lxle.net/about/ As always with a derivative of a derivative, you have to wonder if it has the legs to last. When you have some that is based on something else which in turn is based on something else, which may again be based upon another foundation, you would think that things would improve with each iteration. In fact, it may be just the opposite.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions