Thursday, May 2, 2013

Linux Kernel 3.8 Working with S/PDIF

Last time that I updated my htpc's Linux kernel to 3.8+, S/PDIF fell silent. I had to fall back to Linux kernel 3.7.10, and I wrote about the cliff between 3.7.10 and 3.8. After 3.7.10, silence.

Reading the notes on alsa dev, it was implied that only in systems with HDMI, the new 3.8+ kernel reserved a slot for HDMI, leaving none available for S/PDIF. That suggested to me that if I disabled HDMI in the BIOS, then my S/PDIF would work, even without further modifications to the system. Tonight I confirmed my hunch. Since my htpc does not use HDMI, disabling it was not a problem. I upgraded the kernel in Linux Mint Nadia Xfce to 3.8.11, rebooted, and played a video to test the sound. No problem.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions