Monday, August 31, 2009

Seinfeld

Seinfeld really is one of the better comedy shows in television history. The more times I watch the show, the more I notice the meticulous care that went into every detail, from the choice of clothing to the design of the set. I used to think Seinfeld was not such a great actor himself, but I've changed my mind. He's actually very good, but declines to overact, unlike lesser actors. In addition, Seinfeld had a knack for getting outstanding performances from all of his costars and even minor actors in the supporting cast. I've watched the same actors in other shows where they did not seem as good. Jason-Alexander, who plays the underdog "George Costanza," was the most important actor on the show as well as the most versatile. I can't see the show working without George.

Although the actors were all top-notch, the key to the show's success lies in the writing. It's ingenious. The action unfolds with such a perfect timing that it appears natural and organic, although every aspect is planned and every detail has a purpose. It's also concerned with moral issues, although it pretends otherwise. The "show about nothing" is actually about everything.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions