Thursday, February 28, 2013

ACDSee Persuades Me Not to Buy ACDSee 15

I almost bought ACDSee 15 today--was ready to checkout--when I noticed that they tack on a sneaky little piece of thievery, an auto-renewal (to the tune of $25) of the worthless 40 GB of online storage. The auto-renewal is a charge that will hit your credit card every year, unless you spend several hours waiting on their toll-free support line to see whether one of their customer service representatives is in a good mood and will let you cancel the auto-renewal.

All in all, I think I'm going to stick with version 8 of ACDSee and forget about these new versions. It seems to me the main change in the new versions is just that ACDSee is getting greedier and sneakier, while making tiny incremental changes to the user interface to make users think they are getting something new. If I don't move to Windows 7, I won't need the new version, so that's another reason to stick with Windows XP.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions