Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Good for Target

I admit to being a little surprised that Target came out for gay marriage. I had considered boycotting them a while back when there was news that they had contributed money to some kind of anti-gay organization, but in the end concluded that Wal-Mart was no better and probably worse, and besides, Target seems a little bit nicer or cleaner, somehow.

Good for Target. I think it just shows they're smart. Not a terribly courageous gesture in this day and age, but smart enough.

I never did understand conservative opposition to gay marriage. Marriage is a conservative value. It may be the most conservative value of all values. In the past, I think some right-wingers opposed gay marriage in a knee-jerk reaction without really thinking about the idea very much. Gay marriage represents the ultimate in conformity and assimilation and brings gays "into the fold." I don't see how anyone could be opposed to that unless they're just blinded by a negative attitude.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions