Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mounting a USB DVD / CDROM in Ubuntu / Linux Mint

I had difficulty this morning mounting a USB DVD-ROM in Linux Mint and spent over an hour googling for the answer. Ah, but Google is a crutch for a lazy mind. I entered scores of commands at the terminal, mainly variations of:
sudo mount /dev/cdrom
Which returned an error:
mount: can't find /dev/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
And when I tried to mount /dev/cdrom /mnt, I got something to the effect of "no medium found".

Now what could be the problem? Is Windows easier than Linux in this particular case? Did the evil manufacturer collude with Microsoft to leave millions of Linux users in the lurch? These scenarios and more floated through my fevered mind. I even resorted to editing /etc/fstab, although once I loaded it in my text editor, I didn't really know what to put in there. I also tried rebooting. At last, I decided to test my hypothesis that the USB DVD player would only work in Windows. I plugged it into my Windows computer. Nothing happened. Windows did not recognize the drive either. That meant that the drive was bad, and I needed to throw it in the garbage unless. . . unless . . . that was when I noticed something at the end of the USB cable. Apparently this drive, for a mysterious reason, has not one, but two USB connectors, and I had been using the connector at the end of the cable, which offered more length and seemed the logical choice. However, the drive only works and is only recognized if the very first USB connector is plugged into the computer. Once I tried the first connector, the drive worked in both Linux Mint and Windows without any difficulty. This was not a Linux/Windows problem at all, but a situation where the manufacturer chose a poor design in defiance of logic. I have never seen a USB device with two connectors. The second USB connector exists only as a practical joke on the end user. When I tried to visit the product page at the manufacturer's web page, I was told that the page no longer existed, which is typical, as manufacturers abandon kludges almost as soon as their sales begin to drop, in order to dodge customer complaints.

Moral of the story: Beware the hydra.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second USB plug is for addtional power for the device. I believe your dvd device has two usb plugs for power stability, since a sing USB port can only supply around 500 milliwats of power.

igor said...

I've yet to use the second. Maybe it is needed when burning DVDs. But I doubt I will ever need it for that, since I have two internal burners.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions