Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pirated Software

Back in the day, I used to be a high level pirate, capable of cracking copy protection, although in those days cracking copy protection was often just a matter of using a hex editor on a 5.25" or 3.5" diskette to find the hidden sectors and tamper with them or revising a hidden BASIC program. I don't know whether many people even remember 5.25" diskettes these days. At one time, I traded software with people around the world, but since PirateBay wasn't around back then, let alone the Internet, or even BBSes, we used to use the good old-fashioned postal system to ship our disks, sometimes vast packages of thirty or forty disks at a time with everything conceivable. I do believe that many of us were collecting simply for the nerdy joy of collecting and then being able to make gifts to others and receive their thank-yous, praise and attention. We were actually using maybe .001%, at most, of what we shared. I don't think I ever played more than a handful of the thousands of games I acquired, and most disks simply collected dust in their plastic boxes.

Back in the day, pirates forged personal relationships and often knew one another to a certain extent. I knew a guy that programmed in assembler and made his own game, but also cracked software by disassembling code. He was hardcore and extremely talented. He confessed that there wasn't much money to be made in programming things, and surely he was right. I programmed games myself, although I only used BASIC to do so. My skills were pretty good as far as BASIC goes, but BASIC never went very far; it was slow by comparison to assembler and not capable of doing very much in terms of graphics at that time. From a thousand hours of programming, I probably made $50, from which one can deduce my hourly wage of $0.20, which I understand is the norm in China. In piracy, there was no money to be made, only glory to be had, and that glory wasn't worth two nickels rubbed together, unless one sold pirated software and that was close to impossible--that would bring the heat down faster than anything. Identity theft and viruses had not been fully developed in my day. But all that has changed.

Nowadays we have the Internet, Pirate Bay, and tons of money to be made by licit and illicit means, and new actors such as state spy agencies, organized crime and multinational corporations, many of them eager to exploit computers, whether personal or commercial. Many such actors are motivated by greed, fear, the urge to dominate and control, and hate. I tell you what it is, I'm wondering what motivates Pirate Bay and its group of hackers to offer the Windows Operating System to everyone. It seems to me that the temptation to implant some kind of malware must be tremendous, and the motives as various as human nature allows. Profit stands out as an obvious motive, but there are also reasons that state agencies might want to spread altered copies of Windows. A copy may not even have a virus at all--it may be "clean" as judged by any antivirus--but it may have a certain vulnerability introduced deep within its inner workings that can then be exploited by a web page or software application. How is all of that to be detected and by whom? Who is watching the chickens? No one. People are placing all their faith in a stupid antivirus that merely detects the most obvious and stupid malware programs that were written by idiots. What about the viruses that were crafted by cunning hackers? I can see a motive for a corporation to release a pirate version of Windows that doesn't work well with their competitor's hardware or software. Perhaps a virus only activates for certain regions of the world; perhaps people living in Israel get a different experience from the pirated software than people living in, say, China. Perhaps a virus only activates when it detects that there is no antivirus present. I find it difficult to accept that the Pirate Bay would exist as a charity to distribute Microsoft's products to poor people when there is a legitimate alternative to Windows to be found in Linux, which is open source.

That Linux is open source means its code can be examined and reviewed by academics and others. The userbase includes a high percentage of experts who know what they are about. I feel more confident placing some of my trust in Linux than I do in a pirated copy of Windows. I just keep wondering, what is the motive for this pirate outfit to give me a free copy of Windows? What do they get in return? I think they must be getting something in return, in order to pay their legal bills, server bills, salaries and miscellaneous operating expenses, but it is not clear what form their remuneration takes. Who would donate to PirateBay out of the goodness of their heart? The answer is no one. So PirateBay has to find a way to pay the bills. Many downloaders seem unconcerned and do not think this is worth worrying about, but many people are also the victims of identity theft, like some acquaintances I know, and there are many compromised machines in the wild. I can think of a million reasons why someone would want to release an altered version of Windows, and not many reasons at all that someone would go to the pains of releasing a cracked version on a regular basis to defeat Microsoft's constant updates and seed their upload with sufficient bandwidth to disseminate throughout the world. Come now, would they not feel the slightest temptation to make a tiny alteration that would result in profit for them--compensation, in their view, for their hard work and dedication? Or would they choose to work for nothing, out of some sense of idealism? Even if profit were not a motive, perhaps they might feel a duty to plant some code that would benefit one group or one region while harming another. Maybe they don't like America, and they put something in that is going to harm Americans, or only harm Americans on the Fourth of July, or only harm one in ten of the Americans that download their malware-infested OS. Maybe they place a backdoor in their releases to enable access on an as-needed basis. I don't think it is really possible to evaluate the safety of pirated copies based upon a few comments by under-informed individuals who like to LOL and LMFAO. Most of the comments on PirateBay seem worthless to me and I do not think PirateBay has made a serious effort to cultivate trust. Too much is left mysterious and vague, and in shadows lurks a threat.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions