Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a hidden gem among computer games. I suppose many modern game players would eschew it for its relative lack of 3D graphics or sound effects, but for an older gamer, imagination supplies whatever is lacking in visual and auditory representation. I particularly like the fact that the game is being actively developed with new features being added all the time. I have yet to find fault with any of the changes that have been made, although many changes have resulted in making the game more difficult by eliminating various dodges and workarounds I had learned over the years.

What I like most about Crawl is its variety. One can play a Spriggan Enchanter in one game or an Ogre Hunter in the next, using completely different strategies for each character. Lately I have found Ogre Hunters to be great fun, especially when equipped with a giant spiked club of piercing. A few thumps with that club are enough to vanquish just about anything. The high amount of damage a giant spiked club metes out is worth foregoing the protection of a shield; however, it is no easy feat to keep an ogre alive without the protection of a shield.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found this game. Have you played Nethack? If so, What are the differences (other than the obvious, characters, class, commands) that you have found?

igor said...

I have tried Nethack, Larn, and several other rogue-like games in the past and feel strongly that Dungeon Crawl is the best in its class. It continues to get better with each version. I am in awe of the developers.

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions