Sunday, March 20, 2011

Libyan Rebel Poetry

Gotta love this...

"Gaddafi is like a chicken and the coalition is plucking his feathers so he can't fly. The revolutionaries will slit his neck," said Fathi Bin Saud, a 52-year-old rebel carrying a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, surveying the wreckage.

Maybe that's an old saying in the Arab world, but it's the first time I've heard the analogy. Brought a smile to my face.

However, chickens don't fly, as far as I know, though I'm no expert on the species, being a city boy. I would suspect Fathi Bin Saud is no chicken farmer, either. From what I understand, having spoken with farmers, chickens are plucked for ease of packaging and sale. Chickens lost the ability to fly during the long period of their domestication by humans. They can achieve temporary lift-off, but cannot maintain themselves in the air.

I do hope that someone in the rebel movement has a notion concerning democracy. I don't know whether those people have a Thomas Jefferson or George Washington among them or not. Iraq & Afghanistan certainly did not.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions