Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Like a Diamond in a Dumpster

The difference between a good and a bad teacher is like the difference between night and day. At my college, I've seen the good and the bad. Half of my professors have been poor, doing little more than reciting the notes to the Powerpoint slides given to them by the textbook publisher. They do not teach, but function as wardens, taking attendance and marking grades. This is probably due to the low wages paid to the professors. Competent people expect to earn more money. It is as simple as that. Those who settle for less expect to work less.

Half of my teachers have been good. One of these left to work at another college, which did not surprise me. Another of my teachers is making an extra effort to be accurate and informative. She does not rely solely upon notes given to her by others, but offers relevant anecdotes from her career as a nurse. She remembers the names of all of the students, smiles, answers questions in a simple and straightforward manner, and actually teaches, which is rare and unusual. Finding her in my college was like finding a diamond in a dumpster. I do what I can to let her know that she is appreciated and that the students are glad she is around. I plan to write a glowing review on the evaluation form as soon as it becomes available.

Bad teachers are the result of systemic problems in a school. Time and money must be budgeted to ensure quality in the teaching profession, but college administrators lack both in today's depressed economy. New teachers should be mentored and monitored by experienced teachers. At my college, there is none of that. The experienced teachers do not sit in and listen to the lectures of the new teachers. Therefore, some of the new teachers fall into bad habits, which become reinforced over time. There is a disease making the rounds among these professors known as "Lazybones," characterized by lack of effort and enthusiasm.

Bad teachers are not detected unless a student complains. I complained about one bad apple a few months ago in a letter to the Dean. The subject of my complaint has not been seen on campus again. A fishy excuse has been circulating about his leaving the country for a "vacation," so it would seem my letter was effective. However, it should not be incumbent upon students like me to weed out the bad apples. I am not always motivated to write a letter to the Dean. In fact, that was the first time I had ever done so in my life. As long as a professor is not insulting, I am inclined to do nothing, because no one is paying me for consultation, and I have other things to do with my time. I can overlook incompetence, but not arrogant incompetence.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions