Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Beg to Differ with LA Times

A recent L.A. Times editorial laments the boycott of Target by MoveOn.org, describing it as "distasteful."

Since the Supreme Court ruled that corporations can give as much as they please to political campaigns, the only way that ordinary citizens can counter the influence of money is through collective action. To pretend otherwise is to live in La-La Land, which may be where the L.A. Times writer lives. Could the L.A. Times, which receives significant advertising revenue from Target Corp., be biased? Heavens, no! Perish the thought!

As to whether the boycott will be effective, I think anyone connected to the gay community has a good idea that it will be. I know that my partner and I have steered several people to "Tar-gay" over the years and praised it, acting as free advertisers for the company. Will I praise Target in the future? No. Will gays continue to shop there? Yes, but the boycott will have an impact as word about it spreads through the community. The $150,000 contribution to the bigot in Minnesota will have a $15,000,000 price tag attached to it before it is over. If I need something, I can buy it at Old Navy or Home Depot, which have better systems of inventory control. The last two times I went to Target, they did not even have what I was looking for--common items such as colored pencils and rechargeable batteries. Target either has a poor system of inventory control or the local store has an incompetent manager.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions