Friday, August 27, 2010

The Chilean Miners

I have been impressed by reports of the thirty-three trapped Chilean miners organizing their activities and living environment and deporting themselves with courage and common sense. I was disappointed that their story was bumped off the headlines of Google News today. I would rather read about them than about the latest Republican shenanigans.

I find it difficult to imagine how I would fare trapped in a subterranean cavern for four months without sunlight and with a high heat and humidity (85 F by one report, 95 F by another). I am glad that the miners have each other for emotional support and that they seem to get along well with one another. A single bit of bad blood could change the situation. Having worked together for a long time must have resulted in a cooperative spirit among the miners. Other positive aspects are that the miners have access to artificial light and have three lifelines to the surface, through which rescuers pour food and water.

These miners are really cool. Here's a great article on what they're doing.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions