Monday, July 19, 2010

Blood Type B is Beautiful

I discovered today that my blood type is B+. I can donate blood to any RH positive person with type AB or B and can receive blood from types O and B. However, I don't plan to make any donations in this lifetime. It is not permitted for gays to donate blood in the U.S. I am not offended by that particular rule, which is designed to reduce the blood supply's exposure to the HIV virus. (I am HIV-, however.)

For the same reason, I cannot donate sperm to most sperm banks. I am opposed to donating sperm anyway, because I'm not sure I would approve of the recipient mother.

According to this article on a popular Japanese pseudoscience, akin to astrology, I possess the following traits:

    Type B – The Hunter
  • individualist
  • dislike custom
  • strong
  • optimistic
  • creative
  • flexible
  • wild
  • unpredictable

"Wild" and "unpredictable" are synonyms, I would think.

I will gladly accept any and all unscientific flattery, of course.

The aspect about blood typing that interests me is that type B'ers tend to be clustered in northern India and central Asia, which suggests that a certain line of my ancestors originated from that region. Estonia*, Finland*, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and India all have a relatively high incidence of type B. More Asians than Westerners are type B, and type B is often found among animals (hence the "wild" designation, no doubt).

I have long suspected that my father had a certain amount of Asiatic blood deriving from his mother, who was dark-haired and dark-skinned, though Caucasian. She was said to have been a great beauty, much sought after.



* A possible explanation for the Finns and other Europeans would be migration.
by igor 04:20 4 replies by igor 09:32 0 comments

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions