Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Print This Out, Dungeon Crawler

I've zapped my wand of enslavement, and you are now under my thrall.

Oh, don't worry. I won't relieve your wallet of its small burden. Honest. I am permitted to do evil.

Oops! I meant to say, "no evil." My current character worships the Shining One, you see. I'm a good sludge elf. I even wield a short sword of holy wrath. You can trust me.

My only goal is to make you a better player.

Load into your word processor a copy of the Tables of Attributes, found in crawl/docs/aptitudes.txt. Change the font to Courier New with a size no greater than eight. Print a copy. Keep these two pages beside your PC for future reference. You are now on your way to becoming an expert player of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, one of the best roguelikes around, if I do say so myself.

Without a firm knowledge of the Table of Attributes, you're just never going to make it very far--although with my handy-dandy batch file, located deep within this blog's dusty vaults, you can certainly have your moment in the sun, no matter how well you play.

I used to offer a copy of the Table of Aptitudes here in this blog post, but it became obsolete due to changes made over time. I take the safer road now and simply direct users to the file found in their latest release. I doubt the file location will change any time soon.

No comments:

techlorebyigor is my personal journal for ideas & opinions